You are here: Home Alexander Muir Park


Alexander Muir Park


The sounds of the maple leaf ring from the garden walls of this North Toronto park.



Neighbourhood | North Toronto
Getting There | Lawrence Subway Station
Cross Street | Yonge & Lawrence

Profile Last Updated: April 03, 2008

Sunken on Yonge
The sunken gardens are a tranquil diversion from the activity on Toronto’s central thoroughfare. Deeper into the park, there’s a ravine and lawn bowling court with a path leading to a forest area suitable for either Discovery Walks or brisk runs. While the space was originally established in 1933 on the west side of Yonge Street, the construction of the subway in 1951 necessitated moving the park’s stone walls, crushed brick pathways and plants to the Lawrence Park area.

Maple Legend Namesake
The man who wrote “The Maple Leaf Forever” is the perfect candidate to have a park named after him. Maple leaves have a presence in the park on a commemorative plaque in the stone walls of the terrace, where the legendary lyrics are inscribed. When the park was formally dedicated in 1952, the seven largest trees were maples. Alexander Muir was born in 1830 in Lesmahgow, Scotland and moved to Canada as a child. A schoolteacher around the city, his most famous work won second prize in a patriotic song competition commemorating Canada’s 1867 centennial. Muir served as a school principal until his death in 1906, while following up his hit song with others like “Canada, Land of the Maple Tree” and “The Old Union Jack.”